Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review No 36: The Double Life Of Herman Rockefeller by Hilary Bonney

Horrible subject matter aside, this was quite an interesting book. I was intrigued by it mainly because I just didn't understand what had driven a man who seemed to have two such distinct sides to his personality. In that sense I was left a little disappointed - because while this book details the crime and the aftermath, it doesn't really explain Herman himself and the darkness within him.

I did get the sense that Herman was a man who obviously battled his dark side, but made no real attempt to defeat it. Rather he used his business interests (involving a lot of travel)to regularly submerge himself in the murky world of swinging. He had gotten away with it for years with no suspicion from his wife or family - but then one night it all fell apart in the worst possible way when he tangled with the wrong people.
What I did get from this book was the sense that the people who did murder Herman probably didn't set out to do so. From sad and depressing backgrounds themselves, they made a series of bad decisions that ultimately ended in a death. That is absolutely no excuse of course, nor is the sickening way they attempted to cover up the crime, but with hindsight Herman himself would probably have seen that he ignored several sinister red flags in his quest for a quick thrill.

Well written and easy to read, I had no problems finishing this book - but was left feeling very sad for all involved in this horrific crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment