I was immediately drawn to the Queensland setting of this book. With lots of local references around Brisbane and Townsville (as well as a mention of my native Sunshine Coast), I couldn't help but feel immediately at home and enjoyed being able to picture most of the places depicted within.
Fortunately the story was similarly warm and inviting. We all know a few 'ferals', but there aren't many books written that acknowledge and celebrate them.
While Lydia has made the big leap from her hometown of Townsville to the bright lights of Brisbane, her life is still beset with complications. Not only does her newlywed, pregnant sister land on her doorstep looking for comfort and consolation,she also has to come to grips with the after effects of a drunken one night stand, job hassles and being the "go to" person in her famiy for emotional support.
Told mainly from Lydia's point of view, it also has a second voice in a male character called Chris, whose initial seeming lack of connection to the main storyline becomes obvious as it moves on. I thought this double point of view worked well, being easy to tell apart as Lydia's story was told in third person while Chris was in first.
I really enjoyed the simple, everyday language the story is told in. As a Queenslander I had no problems with the local slang and abbreviations, although some may find a few of the references a little puzzling. It's great to find them in a novel though, and gave it a truly authentic feel.
You will definitely recognise at least some of the characters in this book - no matter where you live, as you will many of the dramas the characters face. A straightforward, warm and entertaining read Feral Bells is a funny, engaging and sometimes heartbreaking story that will have you laughing, cringing and crying in equal measure.
No comments:
Post a Comment